Tuesday, March 06, 2007

Max/MSP Project (continued)

This project was inspired by watching a programme on BBC2 - "The Grumpy Guide to Art". I found it pretty amusing, but if I can imagine in some frames of mind I would have thought it rather depressing - even though I know that isn't the point.

My inspiration came from Sir Gerry Robinson's comments about people "talking bollocks" about art. As an issue, I think its one that idealogically I sit on the fence with; although I'm often frustrated (even angered) with over complicated and non-contexural analysis of art I also love diversity in work and acknowledge that with that comes a natural caveat for over the top, nonsensical anaysis. I must admit (here and nowhere else) that Sir Gerry actually said this at the end of his little section; "its probably a brilliant name for an installation, 'Talking Bollocks'". Having got the nasty mental image of a the literal meaning of that out of my head, I immediately knew what I wanted to do; create an installation to explore the issue but to try my best to avoid a biast viewpoint.

I want to create a space that consists of a central piece of physical work. Viewers of the work are invited to make an audio recording of their thoughts and the piece. Each recording left is stored on a computer and will actually be played back into the same space, in real time. So overall you will have a piece of work to view, as well as (potentially) hundreds of different view points being played out of speakers at you whilst you are looking at the piece; and then (if you want to) you can contribute you own opinion.

It feels like my explanation is not as good as the idea I have in my head. I guess the only way to find out is to create it and try!

I'm a little apprehensive, not because I lack faith in my concept, but that I've been here lots of times before and then discovered I don't have the skill/tenacity to actually get it done in the available time. Must be positive.